Threads and X

 The big news I've seen as of late has been about Instagram launching Threads, and Twitter rebranding to "X". 

I listened to a podcast from The Daily this week titled "Will Threads Kill Twitter?"

Tinfoil hat time: Do you think the Threads launch influenced the Twitter rebrand?

Back to the podcast, there was a line that struck me: "I think humans do have some desire to connect with one another, and it's a real love-hate relationship with how the internet fundamentally works." For me, this hit home. Humans are social and desire connection. I think this is why social media feels so important to us, it allows for connection. However, there's that love-hate relationship. The podcast also mentioned that Threads hopes the norms of the site will evolve organically. That's where the love-hate relationship lies, Twitter has often been associated with negativity and 'doom scrolling', but maybe the new option of Threads will combat that narrative. 

Comments

  1. I have a similar curiosity about Threads. I know that several of my coworkers have started using it. Listening to the disgruntled reactions of Twitter now being called X, I'm wondering if the rebranding is doing more damage in terms of killing Twitter, than Threads.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copyright, Creativity, and Generation C

Pessimism in Reddit

Lurking