The Work From Home Debate

 When I started my job, I was told I could work a hybrid schedule. Unfortunately, that wasn't written into my contract. A decision has since been made where all employees within a 60 mile radius must be in office 5 days a week, and it has put a strain on me. Driving a 2 hour round-trip commute daily is a lot, and yesterday was my manager's last day over the decision. 

It kind of puts us in a tough spot. Our initial launch for our project is in October, and having this kind of turnover this close definitely isn't ideal. But, it has me reflecting in the context of Web 2.0 tools. So many Web 2.0 tools emphasize connectedness and collaboration... and they don't need people to be in the same room, or even the same time zone to utilize them. Social media keeps people connected across places. What is the difference between this and the workplace? When so many schools and programs are offering virtual and remote options, what necessitates people being in the same building 5 days a week. I know some jobs require people in person, but I'm also curious about the ramifications of requiring people in office in our increasingly digital connected world. 

Comments

  1. I share your questioning. My work is split between design, development and meeting with faculty to discuss and define instructional strategies. Thus, most of my duties are on my computer, so remote work could seem relevant in my case. In addition, my desk is on an open space I share with 9 other people, inside the library of our institution, so the environment is filled with people and it's pretty noisy. Still, my boss wants us to work onsite two definite days during the week, which hinders project management. His argument is that it "keeps a team cohesive". From our point of view, it's just the opposite, especially when Web 2.0 tools like Teams or other collaborative tools work well for us.
    Overall, I think even the most suitable jobs for remote conditions are still influenced by a traditional mindset. Even if onsite work impairs projects, harms relationships or impacts the environment, some people need time to adapt to obvious changes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copyright, Creativity, and Generation C

Pessimism in Reddit

Lurking