Community Building via Social Media

 Montana State University Library (MSU) worked to find a way to build community via social media. 

Personally, I found the mission a bit ironic knowing that Facebook was originally created for college students. 

MSU used twitter and phased in different kinds of tweets to increase engagement. The first phase was simply letting people know they existed - a knowledge base. The second phase was to build community - here, they referenced graduation and alumni. Finally the third phase a call to action - inviting people to reach out.

I found this approach interesting. Over my time on the internet, I have come across various small pages where people are trying to create a large community or following. I notice they often jump immediately into the third stage - inviting people to interact. However, there seems to be an invisible barrier for this. People are not always comfortable immediately interacting on social media. I think the missing component for these are phases 1 and 2 that MSU implemented. So instead of inviting you to respond here, I am simply making my presence known today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copyright, Creativity, and Generation C

Pessimism in Reddit

Threads and X