Social Media and Uncomfortability

 Diving into a new class can always be scary. This emotion can be multiplied by diving into a new class and stepping out of your comfort zone via creating content and interacting with others in a broader space outside the confines of a classroom - virtual or physical. Stepping out into the world proclaiming your ideas in a space where they can be found and critiqued is quite the daunting task. 

This led me to wonder, why do people get so uncomfortable trying new social media and putting their ideas out there? Humans thrive in community with others, yet so many of us are uncomfortable with putting ourselves out there to build a community. 

Alexandra Fasulo has an interesting article on LinkedIn: "The Fear of ‘Being Seen on Social Media:’ Why Public Posting is Stopping Entrepreneurial-Hopefuls" (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fear-being-seen-social-media-why-public-posting-stopping-fasulo/). She ends her article with "It may help someone else by sharing it." For me, this helps break down the barrier of finding the perfect thing to say and sometimes to just say what's on my mind about a topic. My ideas may help someone else, even if it isn't perfect. 

I'm dipping my toe in the water by entering this EME 6414 community via blogging and twitter. What are you doing to embrace your uncomfortability with social media?

Comments

  1. Hi Missy, I can relate a lot to your post. Thank you for sharing! There should be may different reasons for different people why they feel the fear of being seen on social media, but for me it's more due to my own insecurity than a threat to my privacy. I will confess that I feel vulnerable to judgment. I feel this way in real world too, but the vulnerability hits to a less extent because it's more specific to the context and I will share the idea with people who share the context with me. But on social media my post can be seen by anyone. Accepting that not everyone can agree with me on everything and that different ideas can help me think out of my box and grow me eventually will help me to put myself out there, not that we all need to do that though... I shared random thoughts that came to my mind. Thank you for the thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copyright, Creativity, and Generation C

Pessimism in Reddit

Threads and X