Digital Native or Digital Immigrant

Which am I? A digital native or a digital immigrant? While I grew up with technology, there are a few key aspects that are a bit off - a byproduct of being at the end of the millennial generation and the beginning of Gen Z. You see, I grew up in the middle of nowhere Florida. Think there was a gas station... that was it. It was a big deal when the closest 'town' got a Redbox at their gas station and a Subway inside. 

I think I identify more with being a digital native, or at least, I know how to navigate technology easily. I compare myself to my brother who was building his own computer at 11, and consider myself years behind him. Yet my parents are not internet literate and will turn to us for help. I suppose I might be somewhere in the middle - able to understand the Digital Immigrants, but understanding the perspectives of Digital Natives. 

Is there some kind of middle ground for those of us who fall somewhere in the middle of being a Digital Immigrant or a Digital Native? 

Comments

  1. I could not agree more. I am definitely an immigrant, but I have learned to navigate my way, or at least in a way that meets my personal needs.... This class however, is making navigation a little more tricky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copyright, Creativity, and Generation C

Pessimism in Reddit

Threads and X